Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Introduction to Crunchiness

I am a 24 year old wife and mother. I am a self proclaimed crunchy mom. I do believe there are degrees of crunchiness though. While I am not the crunchiest I have come a long way!

My mom gave birth to me (and my two older brothers) with pain medication. She nursed me for 9 short months. I was given all of the required vaccinations. I took antibiotics when I had one of my frequent ear infections. I went to public school (until middle school anyway). We ate meat. Convenience foods and fast foods were common place. We were not crunchy! (This fact really doesn't change my opinion that I have the best parents.)

During my teen years I started learning about other options. Since then I haven't done anything but get crunchier.

At this point you may be wondering what in the world crunchy means. It's really any combination of the following:

-Organic food
-Vegetarian/Vegan diet
-Natural Childbirth
-Home birth
-Extended nursing (past 1 year)
-No vaccinations (or delayed/selective)
-Baby wearing
-Co-sleeping
-Cloth diapering
-Elimination communication
-Homeschooling
-Natural healing methods vs. medical doctors
-Fertility Awareness Method or Natural Family Planning vs. hormonal birth control

I'm sure I'm forgetting something! You get the point though.

Now I'm sure you're wondering just how far I take my crunchiness. I suggest you stay tuned because I will be revealing some of my crunchiness in future blogs.

3 Comments:

aprossa said...

Your obsessed with this, lol..I don't agree with you at all but like you said it works for you. I research too but I mainly go by experience. Just because its in a book or computer doesn't make it right. All that matters is for parents to bring their child healthy the best way they can and to bring them up knowing God. Like you said thats all that matters.

aprossa said...

Its funny to me because a lot of people that I know that are hippy moms are liberal tree huggers and you are conservative. Some stuff that you post I can agree I guess. Some stuff that you post I wouldn't condone. For instance home birth. What if there is complications and that person isn't at the hospital, then what. Vegan diet= God put meat in this world for us to eat. All depends on how you cook meat and where you buy it. No Vaccinations which I'm TOTALLY against. Measles, mumps,Rubella,Diphtheria, tetnus, pertussis, varicella, Hepatitis and a few others. Why wouldn't a mother want to protect their child from these things. Co-sleeping is wrong to do all the time. That is when a husband and wife should be together. A baby does not need to be in the same bed. Homeschooling which I don't disagree or agree. Thats is not for me. I've seen good christian people graduate from highschool so to me its how you raise your child to make good decisions. You can over shelter a child. I've seen the outcome of what can happen. Natural healing methods can be good but it doesn't always work. Horomonal birth control, I've taken that and there is nothing wrong with it unless your catholic I guess.

This is just my opionion just like you give yours. I do however think when you write these things the way you say it sounds as if you think you know more than anyone else and is better than anyone else. Also that you make better decisions than others. I know you don't mean it that way but that is how you come off. There is several other christians who have read your blogs and they have thought the same thing. Just wanted to put that out there because you do sound judgemental toward others who aren't crunchy even though you don't mean to be. I'm not at all crunchy and my kids are healthy as a horse. Whatever that term means, lol. I would love to read about raising our children up to be godly men and women. Thats all that matters none of that other stuff is gonna matter.

aprossa said...

Your right Sheila,
I may strongly disagree with it but I didn't have to come off at disrespectful so I apologize. I know Lehia is a good mom and she'll make the best decisions for her child..